The Adoption Process
Thank you for your interest in adopting a pet from Pet Rescue Alliance. Adopting a pet is a big commitment and we will do our best to help you through the process. There are many things to consider when brining a new member into your family. Below are the steps toward adopting your new Pet:
- Once you identify a pet that you are interested in please submit an online application
- We will review your application and ensure the pet you are interested in is in fact best suited for you and your family.
- If we decide to move forward with your application a volunteer will contact you within 72 hours. We would love to get back to everyone who submits an application but since we are a volunteer based organization and have limited resources we can only respond to applicants that we are ready to move forward with to the next step of our adoption process.
- If it seems you are a good fit for each other based on the information you provided, we will setup a time for us to speak with you on the phone to go over your application. If all goes well then we will arrange for a home visit.
- The purpose of the home visit is to ensure the prospective adopter can provide a safe, nurturing family for the new pet. Also the volunteer can provide more information about the pet, answer questions and discuss safety precautions along with some tips for a smooth transition.
- It is important for your entire family to meet with the volunteer at the time of the home visit. We view the pet as a part of your family and want to make sure all family members are on the same page.
- If the pet chosen that is a fit for you and/or your family is not ready to be adopted, (example: young puppies, or pending veterinary care) a hold will be placed on the dog until he or she is ready to be released.
- A tax-deductible adoption fee will be collected at the time of placement. This fee helps defray medical expenses to properly vet the dog (shots, neutering, etc.), costs of keeping the animal in either a foster home or a kennel and other expenses that have been incurred.
- Once you have adopted a pet, your relationship with Pet Rescue Alliance is not over! We will always consider you a part of our alliance. We would love to get updates about your new family member, provide any guidance or resources you need at any time, on some occassions we may even be able to help with pet sitting if needed.
Disclaimer: Pet Rescue Alliance reserves the right to accept or decline any person or family as adopters for any reason. The final decision on all adoptions is up to the vote of the board of directors.